perjantai 30. toukokuuta 2014

Q & A with Martin Gould

CuePower Snookerblog had a great chance to chat with former Championship League, Power Snooker and Shoot-Out champion, Martin Gould. Martin proved to be exceptionally friendly and he seems to always have time for his fans – including a certain annoyingly persistent Finnish blogger. Martin and I discussed his ultimate snooker “dream match” and watching Teletubbies rather than... Well, read on and You´ll find out!

 


I´ve done some research on you, and there´s a wikipedia article on you that says you work "part-time as a debt collector". That sounds interesting. Can you tell me a little bit more about that? Do you have to break knees a lot?
I would like to say my Wikipedia account is full of rubbish. I've never ever been a debt collector. I was a part time croupier though. I'll only break kneecaps if someone messes me around :)


I´ve heard you say that you have a backround in pool. Was pool your first love in billiards? How did the transition from pool to snooker happen?

I used to play pool when I was around 7. I would go into local pub with my mum and dad. I got barred from playing when I was 9 as I was beating the adults and they didn't like it. I also played pool for London and also was England captain at junior level. I even won European under 18s in France back in 1999. I gave up pool shortly after to concentrate on snooker.


The season 2013/2014 seemed a little difficult for you. You´ve come down in rankings a bit, but still within top 32. How do you feel about this past season?

Last season was a bit hit and miss really. I had few problems during the start of the season. I didn't have a club to practice in as I got kicked out by my old club. I fell ill a couple times at wrong times like hour before my match at the uk champs. I don't make excuses, I just get on with it. But the end part of the season was good, I felt like I was findin some form again.


You played against Marco Fu in the first round at World Champs. That was your third match (of which you´ve won 2) against Fu in the first round at the Crucible. It was a great match to watch, but unfortenately you lost 10-7. What are your thoughts about that match?

The match with Marco I think was the pick of the 1st round. We both played very well and brought best out of each other. I feel I only made one mistake in the match and it cost me, but that is snooker for you.


I´ve understood you don´t want to set targets for your career, but what do you expect from next season? You must be thinking about getting back to the top 16? You should be there, you are good enough.

I've never been one for setting targets as I find something always goes wrong. But I think you´re right, I should be in top 16 but I shall just keep plugging away, doing my best and enjoy playing the game I love.


Are you a snooker fan? Do you watch games and read the news and blogs about snooker, or is playing as a professional enough snooker for you?

I am a snooker fan yes, but I do find it hard to watch other matches if I been involved in that tournament. I read some of the blogs from time to time.


Did You watch the world final, Ronnie vs Selby? How do you feel about the match?

Did I watch the final? I can politely say NO to that question. I think I watched a repeat of teletubbies......


Do you have a coach or a mentor? I know You´ve been working with Stephen Feeney?

I´ve been working with Stephen Feeney for around two years now. His sight right technology has been something that has helped me. It's been revelation to me how good he is as a coach. During this period it was the best choice I ever made so far in my career working with him. But I would also like to thank Del Hill, my former coach, he is a fantastic coach and I owe him for all the help he gave me until I met Stephen.


If you´d be allowed to play only one match ever again, who would it be against, where would it take place, and who would be the referee? Why?

That's a really tough question. I would have to choose 2010 World Champs and be 11-5 up again against Neil Robertson. Having learnt from the experience I know I can finish the job now, so it would be me against Neil and Oli Marteel as ref at the Crucible and a packed audience watching.


What is the most enjoyable memory from your pro-snooker career so far? Is there anything you´d like to forget?

I would like to forget between 2004/5 until late 2006/7 as I wasn't even playing snooker. I had given up the game and had thought I would never play again. Not many people know the problems on a personal level that I went through. Since 2007/8 I have enjoyed every moment of my career whether it was highs or lows. I am lucky I get to do this for a living, I get to see many countries, meet lots of great fans everyday. But winning tournaments is always the highlight of anyone's career and I've been good enough to win 4 so far and Im aiming to win a few more as time goes on.



CuePower Snookerblog would like to thank Martin Gould for this interview. It´s been a privilege.

You can fallow Martin Gould on twitter @gouldyballs147
Also on Facebook - Martin Gould

1 kommentti:

  1. Cool. Keep up the good work!

    Teletubbies? Well, all four of them are - more or less - right coloured. "...I shall just keep plugging away, doing my best and enjoy playing the game I love." Great attitude, Martin Gould.

    PS. Jos haluat nähdä pari uskomattoman laadukasta iPhone-kuvaa SM-kisoista, käy väijymässä blogista. Tunnelma on toivottavasti tärkeintä? Toki muutkin saa käydä.

    VastaaPoista